Disney movies have been a defining part of many of our childhoods. From Disney cartoon movies to Disney merchandise, you will struggle to find a child in the modern world that fails to identify at least one Disney character. Recent years have seen the production of live-action remakes of many of the classic Disney films, from Cinderella to Beauty and the Beast and many more. There are still a lot of Disney cartoon movies that haven’t been adapted as live-action remakes, and a few of them are currently in progress. Here are some of the few upcoming live-action remakes that we’re waiting for:
- Cruella: Emma Stone’s portrayal of the 101 Dalmatians villain, Cruella De Vil, is expected to be shown in the theaters in May 2021. This movie will span the origin story of the fur-obsessed fashionista villain.
- The Little Mermaid: This live-action remake is expected to be released thirty years after the original animated film was released. It will star Halle Bailey from the US R&B duo Chloe x Halle as Ariel. This remake will also feature new music from Lin-Manuel Miranda and Alan Menken.
- The Sword in the Stone: The remake of the classic Arthurian tale is currently in production. The exact release date is not yet specified.
- Peter Pan and Wendy: While the film’s release date hasn’t been specified yet, this live-action remake of the Disney classic is currently in development.
- The Lion King 2: The remake of the original The Lion King was released in 2019. The success of the live-action film has inspired the production of a sequel. To this date, the live-action The Lion King is Disney’s most successful animated remake, grossing more than $1.6 billion worldwide.
While their exact plans and release dates haven’t been specified, some more live-action remakes of the Disney classics are under work. These include Pinocchio, Tink, Prince Charming, and Hunchback, among others. These remakes will acquaint the new generation of kids with the beloved Disney characters and kindle memories for those who grew up watching the animated films. A great bridge between generations!